Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Nov 26. 2014. Normality & Abnormality

It has been a while since I uploaded the last blog post. When I was in Sierra Leone and Tanzania, I wrote at least one story every day. My passion for the blog has been waned slowly. Whenever I go to different African country, I had to go through the same steps. “Please let me go!” situation in every immigration checkpoint, buy Internet modem SIM card and charge the credit, find out whether there is micro-SIM card for my cell phone, go to the lodge and check if the place is fine with the budget cut, fight with wi-fi in the lodge and ask people “Why it doesn’t work?,” wait for reimbursement for living expenses, wait for driver to take me to the office and home, fear for unidentified bugs…

In Malawi, I could not still get cell phone micro-SIM card. It seems that I have to cut the standard one into the small size to make “micro”. When I barely finished exchanging money, too much time has already passed, and the driver looked tired of taking me to the other place. I felt bad and said to him, “I will do it next time.” I still have no access card to get inside of the office, so I wait until other staff are in and out. 

It must be the timing that I have to get used to be generous for “slowness,” but I can be never fine with that. I did not even realize that I am just pure Korean who always need fast fast 빨리빨리 process. If there is something that does not go well, I become quickly exhausted mentally, and fall into despair. My life is not to put off anything tomorrow what I can do tomorrow, which means I am doing something right now even if I can do it later.

I am learning about computer file size in Africa. In South Korea, it recently became possible to download a movie for 8 seconds. It must be 2GB for one movie. Can I download that file capacity in Africa? If it would take one or two whole days, I can wait. But the problem is Internet become on and off frequently, so downloading is failed at halfway. In that case, of course, I get mad. Youtube streaming is not impossible, but the Internet speed relies on random connection situation that I cannot quite notice the best timing of using Internet. Anyway, modem credit is so expensive, so I have to avoid searching any video or high definition picture. I charged 10 GB in the modem last Friday, and it cost about 50 US dollar. I cannot check the balance, and I am just hoping that those GB should be enough until I leave Malawi.

I miss the place where uploading and downloading is done within seconds. Today, there was 11 megabyte file that I need to send to professor. I overstrained myself that the file was not uploaded for a long time in the email. I wanted to be professional without making any mistake, so I checked several times if I am ready to send it. It took one hour and a half to “upload” and send.J Actually, I am not still sure the file has been sent appropriately. I went to Sent Items box and tried to “download” to check if receiver will actually see it. I failed to download it multiple times. Should I email again? Or what should I do?

I would like to talk about “normality.” If I have lived in the global Internet powerhouse almost entire life, my normality would be up&download just for seconds. On the contrary, If I have lived in the rural region for a long time, my normality would not even care about up&download something. It is just impossible for me to abandon my normality from the deep bone, and change my life style into opposite. Since I do not want to make any excuse for my “abnormal” situation, I am getting too uptight about the daily life in Africa.

I may have to realize how to endure “abnormality” that everyone around me in Africa considers it as “normality.” I must be some kind of weirdo who acts silly here only because of up&downloading. I still scream (or struck dumb with fright) whenever I see giant cockroach in my room. It is just big, so big. If it stretches its antennae and leg, the maximum length would be the same size of my hands. I cannot just ignore them. I cannot be with them! So I have to either kill it or get out of it from my sight. If I have no insect spray, I throw my shoes to it. Now I see lizard as a cute buddy. They are crawling on the wall (giant cockroach as well), but I leave them because they do not look so hateful.

I do not know right now if I could take my “abnormality” as my new “normality” soon enough. It has already been half a year since I started Africa life, but I find myself that I am still struggling with those abnormalities. The level of controlling my mentality in Africa comes close to that of keeping patience in the military.

“Let your desires be ruled by reason.”

I still have risk of another diarrhea or typhoid fever, I know how horrible they are, but I dare to keep eating local food. I cannot let my transient emotion conquers my reason. I should not forget the reason why I am here in Africa. Typhoid? Come on yo! I am afraid not. I will be immune to the contagion. It must be a natural vaccination, and I bet I am stronger little by little when I eat this goat meat.J

No comments:

Post a Comment