Sunday, November 30, 2014

Nov 29. 2014. I. Farmer’s Market

WV staff Mari told me there would be a farmer’s market this Saturday, and we went to the market place. It was an interesting and small market that anyone can open the outdoors market. There were many foreigners and local people who were enjoying Saturday morning. Since this market is held once a month, sellers may not have to be desperate(?) to sell their items. Many people were from NGO, and they were selling fruits, vegetables, bags, peanuts, honey, dumplings, drinking water, and many types of souvenirs for Christmas. Wow, the 2014 has only one more month, December, and I was surprised that Christmas is just around the corner. 

I will spend too short period of time to get to know the country, Malawi, so I have not had many chances to meet people. I thanked Mari that she took me to this place and be a good colleague for me. There was a NGO from Korea, Chismo Miral Community, which helps the disabilities get primary education and job training. I said hello to them, and asked if we could meet to have a meal on that first meeting. (because I am leaving Malawi so soon!) They would invite me for lunch next Saturday. They were so kind that they will cook Korean food for me. This must be a great attachment between Koreans who are in foreign countries. Wherever I go, I can have a strong mind because Koreans who I have never met will kindly greet and help me. Banding together with people who share the same culture somewhere in home country would be the best way to keep motivation of staying in the unfamiliar place. 

The Korean NGO team consists of 4 people, and one guy who was at that market enjoyed Malawi life and would extend one more year for volunteering. I was so moved by their pure mind to help people in Malawi. 

I said to another member, “I really appreciate your work in Africa.”
She smiled and said, “Somebody would have to do it!”

How great the answer is! They had a wonderful mind. I reflected myself again that how much I still have a pure mind to be with African people. I have been with World Vision more than half a year, and trying to think how to keep consistency and contribute to World Vision (WV)’s work even after I complete my duty. Nobody knows what would be going on in the future, so I may not know whether I will come back to WV, but at least, I can share my experience with other people in Africa and help organization to develop fellowship program and the best way to serve people in developing countries. 

I wished I could stay more in that market, but the operation time was 10 am to 1 pm, and I needed to go Lake Malawi with WV WASH team in the afternoon. Under the warm sunlight, I enjoyed the picnic in Malawi with nice people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment