Sunday, January 4, 2015

Jan 4. 2015. I. Hello hello, Mozambique!

This airport looked so familiar. Yes, I have been to Johannesburg international airport three times recently. When I went to Tanzania from Sierra Leone, to Zambia from Tanzania, to Mozambique from South Korea, I always passed through South Africa. Even the movies in the airplane were still all the same since I last boarded on South African airways. The national flag on the wings of an airplane looked friendly, and inner structure of the airport was kind of like my home (Haha). Luckily, I did not feel any uncomfortable moment although I go to the new city, Maputo in Mozambique. The only awkward moment was that I wore the heavy winter clothing with short pants and long sleeves. South Korea was so cold but Africa was the exact opposite. I had to bring a few extra plastic bags in my hands during the whole transferring processes because my one luggage exceeded the maximum 23kg, so I had to take out something to save $100 fee. Every airlines had the different luggage policy; Asiana Airlines allowed two luggage and each of them should not exceed 23kg. I had only one luggage, and it was much less than 46kg, but why each one should be less than 23kg? (I think the sum of two would be rational.)

However, I loved Asiana Airlines’ service during the flight. I took the first airplane, Asisan Airline to get Hongkong, but the departure was delayed. I worried that I would miss the next airplane for South Africa because there were only 50 minutes left. The flight attendant checked that and came back to me several times. She told me 지상직원 would know this situation and do not have to worry. (What does “지상” mean? My Korean has been getting worse…) When the airplane landed, she took me to the exit even before the first class customer took off. Yoo hoo! I did not even have time to see her name, and I would not see her again, but I was moved by Koreans’ kindness. I would want to say thank you for your service!

Finally, the fashion breaker who wore four seasons clothing with neck pillow and eye blindfold at the same time arrived in Maputo, Mozambique in the morning, Jan 4! Flight was not that fun, as always, because it normally takes one whole day to get the opposite side of the earth. The driver Augusto from World Vision Mozambique came to the airport to take me to the guesthouse. We barely communicated with each other in English. I wished I could learn the official language, Portuguese before coming to Mozambique, but I was too lazy to learn the new language. 16 days in Portuguese-spoken country seemed too short period for me to learn how to say even “hello,” “I am hungry” in advance… Well, I can learn some simple expressions for surviving from now! At least, I cannot starve to death only because I do not know what to order in the restaurant. <Security guidelines briefing for Mozambique visitors and staff> quite frightened me, but I am glad to be back in Africa. It should be ok if I do not go outside at night, right? My health and safety is the top priority during the stay.

The first impression of Maputo was: HOT. It was 28 Celsius. I am experiencing extreme weathers dramatically, super-hot in Malawi, super-cold in South Korea, and super-duper-hot in Mozambique again. The second impression was: DESOLATION. Once I entered my room, I was captured by a feeling of loneliness. It was a small, moldy-smelled, and choky room. Who do I meet? It was only 1pm on Sunday, but I had nowhere to go, no one to know, and only uninteresting 2 TV channels were available. Surprisingly, this place was 2,420 MT ($78) per night. I do not quite understand the price in Africa. If you see dying African babies in UNICEF advertisement in the airplane and donate some coins through the envelope, you may expect everything would be cheap in Africa. Belis told me over the phone I could decide whether I would keep staying here or change the place after spending one night here. He said, “Please, please, please, let me know if you like that place. We want you to stay comfortable in Mozambique.” I heard “Please” about ten times. It was a bit burdened, but I could feel his true heart, so I appreciated that.

What is the appropriate and reasonable accommodation for visitors, donors, sponsors, and staff from other countries? I already have been to five African countries as an intern, but I cannot still answer that clearly. I do not know how to narrow the huge gap between gathering coins for Africans through UNICEF and comforting myself in Africa circumstances. What is more, I am not sure what is the desirable attitude as a position of intern. I have been trying to be thankful for everything, but my primitive instinct sometimes tells me I cannot bear something. I was shocked that so many Korean college students work without pay for their internship but even were delighted at having the work experiences. Korean companies take easily advantage of desperate applicants in the name of intern and do not employ them in the end. The temporary position makes them small, so any small request makes them inconvenient. What about me? I am awfully sorry that World Vision always tries to resolve any conflict of mine. Those hospitalities come to my own charge wholly, and I groan under a heavy burden that I should become a person of considerable merit. However, the unchangeable thing was that everyone has its job to do, no matter what the position is, and it needs to be done well. Yes, all’s well that ends well. Whew… I may stay here only today. By the way, I am stinky and hungry. Let me wash and have some food for now…


No comments:

Post a Comment