Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Jan 6. 2015. Number “Five”

The good thing about going to several African countries is to experience diverse culture, food, and sightseeing. I originally thought it should be cool to visit countries as many as possible, but on the other hand, it could also be just nominal that I only add one more country in my travel list. Have I seen the real beauty of each country? I cannot say yes. Within short period of time, I was overworked, so sometimes I did not really know where I was and what I was doing. Am I in Tanzania? Malawi? right now? I am confused myself, and yesterday, I did not even remember the capital city of Zambia. Literally, my memory was like a blank slate. I was embarrassed and googled “Zambia” to see its capital city; it was Lusaka. Though I spent most of my time in Southern region, Choma when I was in Zambia, I did spend a few days in Lusaka... My brain needs some stimulation to match capital city with each country I visited.

Although I am fortunate to work many different places, I cannot avoid having superficial knowledge of each country. When I went to Sierra Leone, I purchased online books about Sierra Leone to understand that country. I got serious empathy with the story of brutal Sierra Leone civil war, learned history and geography, and I also used to introduce local food in serial in the blog. However, the more country I go, my affection for the new country kept cooling down. It has to be different, but I regarded every unique characteristic in a certain country as the same thing in other Africa region. The weather is hot and humid, the food is just similar, and mosquitoes always irritate me, end of story (?). I am so terrible! It cannot be the same. Staying only one location as long as I can to feel all-about one country might be much better. I was initially interested in learning the local language, so I tried to speak Swahili in Tanzania. Once I left that country, I lost interest in knowing totally different language in Zambia and Malawi. Now I confront with Portuguese, and I have to ask having English menu at the restaurant. I am sorry to lose the opportunity to feel and love the country where I stay. I am just busy doing my work in a hurry without deep understanding of country.

I have been to five African countries – Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, and now Mozambique – and went to more than 20 locations since last June. I did not intend to do it, but things beyond conception happen. The greatest difficulty was not the work itself. Handling the exact same process of miscellaneous stuff to settle down in the new place wears me out. Immigration people in any country were always suspicious what I am doing in many African countries, and I sweated hard to explain how I got the visa outside of my home country while feeling people’s glare behind me. I repeat exchanging money, finding restaurant and market, procuring cell phone and Internet, getting friendly with new people, and introducing myself.

The number “five” should be meaningful to me, and it cannot become a mere number. At least, I have to know where exactly I am located, and how the country map looks like. I would also like to know what is going on in the country, politically, socially, and economically. Understanding health, water, and sanitation part of the country was the tip of an iceberg. I would like to have the infinite affection for the country!

I am here in Maputo! <http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-13890416>


No comments:

Post a Comment