Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Jan 7. 2015. Wiping out malaria!

I awaked from my sleep in the middle of the night. Mosquito was so noisy that my ears were ringing. Perhaps, mosquitoes are the best wake-up call that wakes me from a deep sleep. However, it is too early… why don’t you buzz around me in the morning, not at the crack of dawn?

It has been 8 months since I began taking malaria prophylaxis, and I am free from malaria so far. Many people do not believe the effectiveness of malaria pills and suggest to take them at once only when actually contract malaria. Antimalarial medication is a strong drug that affects liver somatic index badly. I chose to take those steadily, Malarone and Lariam, but I do not know how long I have to rely on them enduring various side effects? Anyway, prevention is the best policy.

Here is an interesting malaria story that some people eagerly look forward to getting malaria on purpose by getting 200 malaria-infected mosquito bites.

<Bitten by 200 mosquitoes: Seattle volunteers bare arms in malaria test>

Developing malaria vaccine is still going on, and continuing research is challenging due to the stalled grant. Seattle BioMed research lab believes that 200 mosquitoes bites on the human being’s forearm to study malaria would be the most promising way to make its vaccine. If you let crazily hungry mosquitoes bite your forearm for 10 minutes and monitor symptoms during 10 days, you will get paid about $1,800. Is it a good deal? I would not do it! I did not count, but I might have been bitten by 300 mosquitoes since I came to Africa last year…? I became neurotic to mosquitoes, so I deluded myself that I hear a mosquito buzzing sound when I went vacation in South Korea in December. There should be no mosquito in that midwinter weather there…

Until we see malaria-free world, the effort to stamp this tenacious parasite out completely must go on. Malaria mortality rate in Africa is still high, and it claimed 584,000 people’s lives worldwide in 2013. Antimalarial medicines are expensive, so the majority of people in Africa never even dream to take it. At this moment, vector control at the community level would be the best way to prevent further malaria transmission in Africa. Insecticide-treated mosquito nets (ITN) and indoor spraying with residual insecticides (IRS) should be more disseminated, people needs to know the importance of sleeping under the mosquito nets, not leaving ITN alone.

PHOTOS BY STEVE RINGMAN / THE SEATTLE TIMES

No comments:

Post a Comment