Saturday, October 11, 2014

Oct 10. 2014. Water Borehole

How much do we appreciate availability the water in our home? Water is always ready, so we might never realize how important it is. We might misunderstand that water is just like the air, and it never be drained. We simply turn the faucet on and wash our hands right after using a toilet. We enjoy the highest water pressure from the shower tap, feel the hot water for a long time, and hum forth our satisfaction.

However, the exact opposite situation is happening in the opposite side of the earth. There is literally, no water. There is even no rain, no river, and no creek in the drought-stricken area. It is not surprising anymore to me that people have been dying of diarrhea. People could not drink clean water, take a bath, and harvest crops. It took a whole day to carry only one bucket of water from the long distance. Ebola outbreak in West Africa has still claimed so many lives, and the virus has spread to the U.S. The reason why Ebola has started was that there might be no available water to wash hands and no education to make people sensitize to sanitation issues.  

I went to field with Dr.Opong, Doreen, Dorothy, and Davison to see how boreholes and sanitation facilities constructed by World Vision have positive influence on communities in Twachiyand ADP. We visited Mweebo village, the primary school, and Mumfumbila village and heard their stories about water, sanitation and hygiene.

What does a borehole mean to them? It must be a miracle because they are finally able to get the clean water anytime. 500 people in Mweebo village rely on only one borehole, but that one borehole itself does improve their lifestyle dramatically. Dr.Opong asked each child to hear how the clean water from a borehole changed his/her lives.

A child is using her bike to draw
 some water from a borehole
“I use it for drinking and bathing.”
“I wash my clothes.”
“I use my water to wash my hands after using the toilet.”
“I use it for cooking.”
“Animals are drinking our clean water.”
“We use our water for our vegetable.”

I have never realized that the water is the essential resource for our various critical moments in daily lives. If somebody had asked me how do you use the water, I might only have said, “I use it for drinking and taking a bath.”

Someday, water pipe will reach each household, and everyone can enjoy the clean water right in front of their home.

No comments:

Post a Comment