Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Oct 15. 2014. Global Handwashing Day


Today, October 15 is a global handwashing day. This day was originally created for children and schools, but anyone can celebrate and promote handwashing with soap all over the world.

<CDC Global Handwashing Day>

<Global Handwashing Day>


Every year, pneumonia and diarrheal diseases claim 2 million under age 5 children’s lives in developing countries. I did take using soap for granted whenever I wash my hands. However, the soap itself may be expensive stuff that remote villagers cannot afford to buy. Or, people just do not know the importance of handwashing with soap, have a hard time finding where to buy, or only use soap for washing dishes, bathing and laundry. Handwashing with soap is a “do-it-yourself vaccine” that protect against fecal contact and transmission of disease; this simple but critical activity does reduce skin and eye infections, intestinal worms, SARS, diarrhea, and respiratory infections such as pneumonia and influenza. Changing old habit into washing hands frequently – after using a toilet, before/after handling food, before cooking, or after cleaning a child – will be the most effective, affordable and easiest way to save children’s and mothers’ lives.

To enhance the effectiveness of handwashing, using soap, or at least ash is critical; fecal pathogens will not be dislodged by water alone, and soap will removes the oils of hands and leaves pleasant smell on hands. How long should we wash our hands each time? 20 seconds. Singing the “Happy birthday” song two times during handwashing would be the perfect time to gauge 20 seconds.

World Vision Zambia Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (ZWASH) team and I visited Hamaundu ADP- Demu area to attend the global handwashing day celebration. Before coming here, I could not distinguish between borehole and handwashing facilities. ‘Why are they different?’ One of the ZWASH staff Emmanuel told me people do not wash their hands at the borehole. ‘Why?’ He said that people use borehole only for drawing water. ‘Okay…’ And I finally realized that how a handwashing facility looks like. It was right in front of the toilet, and water bottle and soap water bottle were hanging on a branch. ‘Wow, it looks so simple.’

Village members gathered under the shadow of the big tree, and enjoyed performance and play about WASH. People dug a hole and constructed handwashing spot with 3 twigs within a few minutes, and a women demonstrated how to wash hand with soap. All I did today was sitting on the brick, learning tribe language, Tonga, and waiting for lunch, but a scorching sun caused dizziness. Having a good draught of water at that moment means everything; I have just saved my life. Living in Africa is hard, but it makes me to feel grateful what I already have. If you grab new cold water bottle and soap in your hand, you are a lucky person. I might have been wash my hands for 10 seconds, but from now, I will double the time of handwashing to eliminate all bacteria attached on my hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment