Thursday, October 9, 2014

Oct 8. 2014. Every child deserves clean water

The weather at night was so chilly in Zambia. It reminded me of cool autumn weather in South Korea. I did not wait in the long line, so I ran directly to get Zambia visa. However, I realized that there was so simple step to obtain the visa; no paperwork, paying $80 for multiple entries, getting a receipt, and good to go! All processes were finished within a minute. I already love Zambia!

I got off the airplane at 8:50pm and exited the airport at 9:15pm. Everything seemed to go so smoothly, and I tried to find Doreen and driver from World Vision. ‘Where are they?’ I was in outside so early, so have they not arrived yet? After 5 minutes, people who I was looking for were getting out of the airport. They were waiting for me inside.

“Welcome to Zambia!” said Doreen.

I spent 3 days in the guesthouse in Lusaka, the capital city in Zambia, and introduced myself to National Office staff. My project for Zambia and Malawi is to analyze Lives Save Tool (LiST) to evaluate water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) project in Southern African Region (SAR). World Vision promoted the campaign, <Every child deserves clean water>, and it has become the leading NGO that drills wells in the developing world. World Vision has been working closely with the academic institution, the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (UNC) to research, repair, and remain the well operations. 

World Vision’s efforts to provide clean water in African countries succeed in reaching one new person with clean water from well every 30 seconds. West African countries have already received benefit from sustainable clean water, and World Vision has expanded this WASH intervention to SAR since 2010: DRC, Malawi, Mozambique, and Zambia. It is good to be here in Zambia because I can contribute how much WASH project in SAR has been effective to community people by showing retrospective estimated number of lives saved from 2010 to current.

Until every single child have access to clean water in Africa, we will keep it up!

- From FEC ZWASH FY13 Semiannual Report

No comments:

Post a Comment