Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Oct 1. 2014. Finally, Typhoid

I felt so terrible yesterday. I had a severe headache, stomachache, and diarrhea, so I could not do anything. But I had two Skype meeting yesterday, so I could not leave the office. One was at 11am, and second one was at 5pm. It was so painful to wait until 5pm to attend the meeting. I did not want to cancel the meeting because it was for my preparation of the next project with World Vision. Internet connection was not good, so the meeting at 5pm was over so quickly without exchanging specific information. I could not stand my condition anymore, so I had to leave right after this meeting. It was first time to come back home early in the evening; it was only 5:50pm, but I deliberately lay down on the bed and slept for a long time. And I had to go toilet in and out frequently at dawn.

Today in the morning, symptoms have almost gone, but I have already lost my appetite. It was an unpleasant feeling that I was hungry but had no appetite. However, I had to eat breakfast by force because I had to take medicine. Unfortunately, stomachache came again right away, and diarrhea also came again. Whatever I eat, stomachache and diarrhea always followed in a twinkle. In and out within a minute… The Aga Khan Medical Health Centre opened at 8am, and I was the first one for malaria/ typhoid check-up. A clinician initially failed to collect my blood, so two new syringes were used to take my blood. The examination would not take long because I was the first patient, so I decided to sit down and wait. Soon enough, many people stood in line to have medical service. This Health Center recently extended its service hours to 10pm, so I guess there should be many patients who visit this place. After 30 minute, I got the result; no parasite for malaria, but typhoid test was S. Typhi O: 1/80, S. Typhi H: 1/80.

I finally got typhoid. It was not severe typhoid, but I had the minimum requirement to be diagnosed as typhoid. I knocked the doctor’s door, and came to see a doctor to have prescription, but he told me to pay the consultation fee first. So I waited in a line and paid for that fee, and came back to the doctor. He wrote something on the backside of my result sheet, and I went to the pharmacy with that to get medicine. The medicines were Cephalkem for antibiotic and Cetamol for headache. Although it turned out to be typhoid, my pain has somewhat eased off mentally because at least I knew what the problem was. I thought I was physically strong, but it was not true; I am one of the normal people who are likely to get typhoid or malaria. I have heard the stories that most of Korean volunteers in Tanzania were suffering from malaria and typhoid. Local people also take it for granted that they contract those diseases. But I should not make slight of it because some people die of malaria or dengue. I do not know which food caused typhoid, so now I am afraid to eat any local food. It has been 4 months since I came to Africa; if my physical condition cannot bear this new environment, I have to change my plan of living in Africa for a long time. I realize again that I really have to be careful of eating food and preventing mosquito bite.

Living in Africa is not surely easy. Especially since I came to Tanzania, I have been nauseous whole 2 months and had sudden serious headache/stomachache from time to time. What food makes this problem? I indulge in headache pill, stomachache pill, diarrhea pill, antimalarial pill, mosquito repellent, torn bed net, cockroach spray, vitamin, and plus, typhoid pill. Without a firm faith and will, coming to Africa would never be fun. I wish to be stronger enough to continue my public health life in Africa. I am not done yet. So, I will be okay; no… I SHOULD be okay.

... Go away, Typhoid!

No comments:

Post a Comment