Sunday, October 19, 2014

Oct 19. 2014. GDEC Cool Dudes

I know the word ‘dudes’ might be only for calling boys, but I just want to say dudes for my colleagues. They are all cool. My classmates in International Health: Global Disease Epidemiology and Control (GDEC) have been doing their practicum all over the world. Someone already finished and went back to Baltimore, and others are doing their second practicum to build more working experience. Americans normally like to shorten the long words and say the abbreviation literally, not G-D-E-C, but G-DEC, 쥐댁.

There are 2nd year 17 쥐댁 people, including me, 9 girls and 8 boys. I am physically away from them, so I have been contacting with some of them since we completed 1st year course; but I was so glad that they are uploading their practicum experience in the voicethread. Actually, I did not quite like it when I made 3-4 slides and left a voice comments for the 1st term requirement, but it was so motivating moment when I heard their voice and picture today. Only a few 쥐댁 people have uploaded their work so far, but I am looking forward hearing all other people’s news in the upcoming week.

Talking with my classmates who are in Brazil, U.S., Ghana, China, Kenya, Switzerland, Peru, and other countries through the online does inspire me with their enthusiasm. To be honest, I have come across so many frustrating moments, so it was so hard to control my temper. I also experience embarrassing, funny, ridiculous, and no way situations that goes against my narrow common sense. It was probably the first time in my life that I have felt terrible headache just because I got so irritated. I am still trying to finish my 1st term online class in Africa – one of the hardest things that I have ever had – with fighting mosquitoes, mice, cockroaches, moth, and flies in the office. I do not really want to complain, but I have never realized that I was receiving blessing in the place where Internet was always available, “unlimitedly.” I had to talk with group members from the online class today, but both Skype and Google hangout were impossible to receive the call because of the slow Internet connection. I have given thanks to the situation that I anyway was able to connect to Internet since I came to Africa, but I am so sad that I have a hard time of taking online class that would be graded soon. Working and studying at the same time is hard!

However, I was motivated to be in Zambia by hearing my GDEC friends’ news. I cannot believe that I am already 2nd year master student, and 1st year students will listen my voicethread presentation soon. I am asking myself that I am good enough to be called as senior. Only two months are left that the year 2014 is finished, and I am getting old! I miss my GDEC friends. I may have to attend the graduation ceremony to meet them. My friends! I am looking forward to seeing you soon in next May, and you take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment