Monday, August 11, 2014

Aug 10. 2014. New Six Senses: 4. Touch_Feel the Weather Through Skin

I realized I have many wrong stereotypes about Africa.  I presumed Africa would be always hot, humid, and no rain. However, it still rains every day in Sierra Leone. During rainy season between mid-May to mid-November, so seeing rainy day is common. Sierra Leone is hottest as well as wettest; average annual temperature is 27 Celsius and rainfall is 3,150mm. I used to ask Sierra Leoneans which season they prefer, rainy or dry season. All of them who I asked (Actually, I had only asked 5 or 6 people), answered they like both. I expected the answer would be rainy or dry because it would be interesting to know Sierra Leoneans like hot weather or cool weather with rain. There are 4 seasons (spring, summer, fall, and winter) in South Korea, so the question “Which season do you like?” to new people could be so hackneyed, but still, it would be a good ice-breaking topic. However, since all those 5 or 6 Sierra Leoneans answered meaninglessly they did not care to choose one and they like combined one (whole one year), I stopped asking this question. They said both season are all necessary for a year because rainy season with a lot of stored water would compensate for dry season without any rain. They can also enjoy both hot weather during dry season and cool weather during rainy season every year. That was why their answer is “both.”

Overnight rain covered the dirt road in
Sherbro Island, Sierra Leone
Their ability to predict the weather – by feeling the humidity and temperature, and by observing the clouds in the sky – in next one hour exactly hit the mark. When I went back to my guesthouse in Sherbro Island with the project manager, Mr. Musa, he abruptly told me, “Charles! We need to be hurry. It will rain soon.” I was rather dubious about his prediction because the weather seemed to be perfectly fine. So I asked him, “How do you know?” He smiled faintly, “Look at the clouds and feel the weather! It is about to rain.” But to me, sky was just the same sky, and the weather was just the same weather. “Mr. Musa! I don’t still know the difference!” Luckily, we walked fast and raindrops did not fall until we got the guesthouse. We chatted a little bit, and he was about to go back to the office. Just than, a drop of rain started to fall! He showed a triumphant laugh, “You see? I told you it’s going to rain!”

Although daily rain cooled the temperature down, the weather was still hot to me in Sierra Leone. My back was always sticky with sweat in the blazing sun, so I always waited for rain. I did not really enjoy the unique sweat smell from my jean; also, taking a step forward wearing the jean made me feel rather poorly because of the airtight sweat all over my legs. Much to my regret, rain normally came at late night and dawn (but it still had lots of rain during the daytime) in June to July. People told me rain in August and September would become more crazy mainly during the daytime. I am sorry now that I will not able to see this rainy day because I am in Tanzania now. I am surprised it is never hot, and it is somewhat piercing cold at night in Dodoma, Tanzania. Quite opposite to West Africa, it is dry and almost never rains during June to October, long dry season in Tanzania. You may pay dearly if you take this cold lightly and wear half sleeve shirt; I have never imagined I would shiver with cold at night in Africa. I can say weather in Tanzania is like warm autumn for the daytime. Doing away with stereotypes about Africa should be continued.

Clear and balmy season with pretty clouds in Tanzania

No comments:

Post a Comment