Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Aug 20. 2014. Everyday New Face!

The dawn began to whiten the sky, slowly. However, before I knew, the bright morning had always come. As I was determined last night, I went jogging. Everywhere was unfamiliar but Mundemu office; I followed meandering dirt road but I suddenly lost interest in running in the new place. I was a little bit nervous of getting lost, and little students who were already going to school at 6:30am (Wait, where are you really going in this early morning wearing school uniform?) and stopped their step and staring at me. It was hard for me to avoid their eyes and skip greeting in this unfamiliar rural area, so I returned to the Mundemu ADP compound. I went jogging only for 10 minutes. I went inside of my room, and grabbed a push-up bar; this portable and light sports equipment is my necessity whenever I go somewhere. I normally do non-stop 50 push-ups every morning, but I did 70 for today. It took within a minute, but I always get bored of bending and straightening arms within 60 seconds! As I planned, I asked Eva to have two bucket of hot water for taking a shower. I successfully managed those abundant amount of water to complete morning shower by sprinkling a scoop of water from the over my head. Those precious water rolled down from my hair to my foot and wash off soapy water on my body.

I got out of washroom. The warm morning sunlight kissed my forehead. The sun became already glaring, so I made haste to come inside of my room (It was 10 step distance…). I changed my clothes and came to the office (It was 20 step distance…). Yeah, this is the compound. I do not have to walk too far.

To be honest, I feel great pressure to renew daily life. Well, it cannot be actually new every day. It was my misjudgment that life in Africa would be always new and exciting. People do live in Africa with their own culture and lifestyle, but I should not say it is marvelous or amazing. It is just slightly different type of human living style. What I am saying is that staying in Africa for internship should not be considered as special experience, and I do not want to look like some piece of work only because I am in some mysterious place. I believe that the fundamental characteristic of human beings is all the same wherever they are.

Coming to Africa is cool? Many people still alarm themselves to come to Africa. For me, living in the U.S. and living in Africa is not different. I am careful in uploading pictures in Africa on the blog or Facebook. Even before choosing what picture would be good for being opened to the public, I am always reluctant to take picture of their life style. They have to be respected with the equal value, abandoning the thought of exoticness. All pictures are just Africans’ normal life, so there is no special to them, but I may feel cool to see those because it is just new to me. Uploading Africa pictures to gain exponential interests from people out of Africa is somewhat uncomfortable for me.

So I write. I originally thought that there would be many interesting stories to say everyday on the blog. Actually, it is not easy to write a journal every day. Sometimes, I am so tired of thinking what I should write, or I really have nothing to say. But I promised myself that I would write anything everyday to keep my head up every moment and maintain feeling of tension. That makes me look around carefully what is going on around me. People’s full name and every word from their saying would be my writing material, so I always prick up my ears.

I cannot say that I have a normal life in Tanzania because I am frequently in the new surrounding environment and new situation. If I would feel that ‘Oh, I am mostly likely to settle down in Tanzania,’ I simultaneously would meet the timing to leave Tanzania. Time to stay in Tanzania is short, so becoming fully stable may not be possible. I have to do my internship concurrently with taking online class as well as preparing for moving into my next internship.

Tanzania people also wonder my routine life in South Korea or in the U.S., as much as I am interested in knowing everything what is happening around me in Tanzania. Mr. Mazengo asked me about my daily life in the U.S. this morning.

“I wake up in the morning… And then… breakfast… go to school… lunch… come back to home… rest… exercise… what else… go to bed…”

I recited my routine. Is it that different from what I am doing in Africa? People live in a similar way. There is nothing new. So, there is nothing to feel absurd or interesting. In other words, I can say life in Africa is a little bit unfamiliar to me, instead of saying it is new to me. Like we meet new people and do ice-breaking to get friendly, this unfamiliarity will become my habituation soon. Between settlement with familiarity and frequent moving with different energy, I am thinking what lifestyle suits me. There are Maasai, semi-nomadic people in southern Kenya and northern Tanzania. You can even see Maasai people wearing red-checkered clothes often on the street, in Dodoma. Their unique tradition has become indistinct nowadays, and some young Maasai people come to the city, far away from their nomadic life. It would be nonsense if I say settling nomad. The word nomad itself connote that moving from one place to another, so settling nomad does not make sense. It would be just an awkward expression.

Everyday New Face! Nonetheless, that is always what I pursue. No matter what happened – how bad I was or how good I was - yesterday, it has already passed, and today is the new 24-hour that I have to spend with fresh mind. Even if I fall into habituating myself to routine life, I want to see the things with a different perspective of view. I consider from now that new does not actually exist; though something is unfamiliar to me, that would be routine for other people. I would rather say ignorance. I want to uncover my widespread ignorance from daily conversation, daily food, daily weather, and daily rest. I am certainly tired of packing my luggages, but I have to move on. I want to exert full energy for the present to make daily routine reveal my unfamiliarity. Like a nomad, I keep moving to find my everyday new face.

 밤새 뒤척이다 동이 튼다. 동이 튼다. 

No comments:

Post a Comment