Friday, August 8, 2014

Aug 8. 2014. Fait Accompli

I woke up in the morning, later than usual. The aftermath of drinking wine last night made me feel headache from early in this morning. Oh, wait… It could not be only because of alcohol. Pungent insect killer spray use indiscriminately in the war against cockroaches last night might be the major cause of my headache. A horrid smell of spray were still assailed my nostrils. I felt unwell, so I barely went jogging, took a shower slowly, and had a breakfast slowly. My lodge provides free breakfast; I would be really happy when they cook noodles or spaghetti, but I would be really sad when I only eat sweet potato and drink juice. Today was the sad breakfast because I had a few pieces of sweet potato. I have never realized that I like rice, soup, and side dishes (so called Korean food!); I did not quite eat rice in the morning when I was in Korea, but strangely, I just want to eat rice in the U.S. or in Africa, especially in the morning. Living abroad several years makes me be engrossed in nostalgic thought of Korean food that I casually grabbed a quick bite for breakfast in the past.

Today was Nane Nane Day (Farmer’s Day) in Tanzania. Agriculture is the major economy in Tanzania; it takes 25% of GDP, 85% of export, 80% of workforce, but there are only 12% of the land is arable and only 1.8% of the land has permanent crops. Nane Nane Day pays a high tribute to farmers’ virtue, so it is a public holiday! However, I have many tasks that need to be completed as early as possible, so I went to the office. I have reviewed Sierra Leone’s baseline data and LQAS (Lot Quality Assurance Sampling) data, and LiST protocol to prepare for draft report of AIM-Health mid-term evaluation.

Lunch on Nane Nane Day: Beef Biryani
Time slipped away, and the time pointed at 9pm. Denice and I were both in the office, and preparing for upcoming work and activities. I asked Denice that if she was familiar with the word, fait accompli. She quickly searched the dictionary before I knew it, and said, “Yes, it is a good meaning.” I wanted to express “almost confirmed, but cannot be said confirmed yet” differently, so I referred to a dictionary. Even if dictionary suggests many possible English words, I never know which word is widely used and natural to express a certain situation. I think writing should be written in a simple and clear way so that all readers can understand and sympathize with words. Perhaps, just like I am not able to turn into black, brown, or white from yellow race, using fancy English words all the time to explain gracefully what I think may be impossible because Korean was already instilled into my brain as a default. My English may be full of an assembly of unfamiliar words and improper arrangement of expression. Probably, I may not able to speak naturally like native speakers do; what kind of my value can make up for it? Living abroad does not guarantee my English fluency, so nothing should be considered as fait accompli. Be it ever so looked like being almost confirmed, I will not take anything for granted. I do not even know where I am going after completing this project; nothing has been decided and I might have only been grabbing my hope to avoid thinking uncertain future. Again, there is nothing to say it is almost a fait accompli, so I am back to square one: finishing up my current work, in-depth interview, to make my hope begin to crystalize into a fact.

Oh, it is too late. Denice already hurried home to keep her guesthouse curfew 10pm. It is almost already midnight, so I need to get back my home. But… I am afraid to come back home because other cockroaches may already have visited my room and waited for me. I have been thinking of cockroach all day long… It is really funny that once I ran away Ebola, some vagarious thinking revolves around in my head now. Anyway, my life-threatening(?) event at present is to see cockroach in my room, and I take it as serious as Ebola. Just let’s go and fight! Brace myself! Because seeing cockroach will be almost a fait accompli.

No comments:

Post a Comment