Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Aug 19. 2014. Niongeze Kidogo!

This is my shower room!
Hot water in the blue bucket.
I woke up in the morning, 6am, and I was relieved that my headache from last night was gone. Dawn was breaking and it began to grow light. Eva prepared hot water in a bucket for me and showed me into the shower room. Well, it was not actually room for taking a shower, but a toilet. I needed to wash in this narrow room. Since I became familiar with taking a bath with one bucket of water (Check July 13 blog!), I told her I was fine with that amount of water. Believe me, this water is enough to take a quick shower (only if your water management is terrific!). And the water was boiled, so it would be nice morning shower. For today, I decided to wash only my hair and face. Whenever a cup of water splashed onto the floor and went down the toilet hole with a gurgle, the repulsive smell of stored human waste was coming up from that hole. Yech!

The weather was serene and warm, but I did not once step out of the house all day. I deliberately went out from the entrance gate to take a picture of this compound. I was stuck in the office to add contents in the qualitative study report endlessly, and I talked to people only during the mealtime. Just like I received meal every morning to night in Mattru Jong, Sierra Leone, mama in Tanzania delivered big food for communal feeding during the regular hour of eating (People here normally respect for the elderly by calling mama.) All staff, volunteers, COMMs members gathered and had happy meal. There was a time difference to eat meal; 8am for breakfast, 2-3pm for lunch, and 8-9pm for dinner. Lunch and dinnertime was late for me, but I was so happy that I could eat meal three times a day. At the same time, I was so anxious about gaining weight because I always eat a lot whenever food is detected by my eye, like a hawk.

“Niongeze Kidogo!” (니온게제 키도꼬!)

Every time, I requested mama that I need some more food. “Kidogo” means little. So I say 조금만 주세요~!” to mama every time. Then, they all laughed and gave me some more food. The sight of the food always tempted me to eat more… Oh no… I have to control portions! This was not 3 balanced meals a day; rather, 3 excessive eatings a day. I do not quite work out intensively in Africa, but I eat to excess.

I have not budged an inch in the compound for 2 days.
The rural area is so peaceful. Although there is no running water and all sorts of insects are flying and crawling around, I like here. It’s 5pm, quitting time! But I kept staying and add and modify this and that in the report in the office. Lidya came to me and said, “Kaka, let’s go to the town!” Lidya, I knew it! You told me that you would stay here for this week, but you betrayed me yesterday and are gone to Dodoma. Will you again go back there and come back here in the next morning? I brought all luggages here and I have no home in Dodoma! I resisted going. You abandoned me again today. :-) She finally told the truth that her boyfriend came to Dodoma from Dar es Salaam yesterday. Fine, boyfriend girlfriend thing… On the contrary, I am so as free as a bird. I have nothing to show concern. Tomorrow, I will ask to have two bucket of hot water to have a nice shower in the morning. I will stay here until this week, as planned that Lidya told me for the first time.

Mama, food is so nice! 
“Habari ya jioni?” (하바리 야지오니?)

I used the evening greeting to mama during dinner. I think I had chicken soup for breakfast, pork soup for lunch, and meat soup for dinner (It was not proven yet.) All 3 types of meat were consumed within a day. Tanzanians are the best because they really like this simple greeting, smile and feel happy to hear.

“Nzuri sana!” (조리 싸나!)

She said she was really fine. I think at least I have to learn greetings in Swahili. Peaceful environment with wonderful food in Tanzania! Thanks to that, I am gaining weight. I will add jogging time for the next morning before taking a bath.

“Lala Salama!” – Sleep well!

No comments:

Post a Comment