Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sept 25. 2014. Ngorongoro Conservation Area

We woke up early in the morning. To reach the Ngorongoro Conservation Area, our vehicle departed at 7am. Driver’s name was Dennis, so I saw the historical moment(?) that Denice and Dennis were introducing each other. Denice, Dennis, Gladys, Nicole, and I were so quiet on the way to safari; it was another long way to go to see animals.  3 hours later, we arrived at the place, and many tourists were already ready to go on safari. Our group also entered the gate shortly, and climbed a mountain slope through a thick fog. Soon enough, Ngorongoro crater exposed its breathtaking sight. A broad sunken area that was hardly included in my eyes at a single glance looked so tranquil but had certain feeling of tension. A various kinds of animals down there must have been in a world where the severe law of the jungle prevails. Herbivores always have to run away from predators, and hyenas are on the lookout for an opportunity to clean the leftover. And I am here to see them!

Interestingly, Massi people are allowed to live in this conservation area. Their nomad life looked somewhat nice because they are meandering unconstrained life. The first animal that we saw was ostrich. Some birds were flying over the dust crater, and cows were grazing peacefully. Hippos never thought about getting out of the water, and Oxpecker birds were sitting on their backs; they might be doing some symbiosis in action. Hundreds of zebras were so friendly enough to be closed to the road and hanging loose. Swans were boasting a graceful figure, and a buffalo and warthog were forlornly wandering in the woods. I saw multiple species of birds, but I could not name them. What’s your name? I took ornithology class last year, but I forgot what I saw… Someone dedicate their life to the study of bird eggs by chasing them to the ends of the Earth, others observe those animals in the craters to reveal the jungle law. What would I chase? While appreciating the scenery over the open roof in the bumpy car, I was lost in meditation about the mysteries of nature and life. I was standing at the backseat for a long time, so I suddenly got drowsy. I sat down, and fall asleep so easily through this rough ground. I awoke when people in the vehicle were excited to see something. “What happened?” Ha! Elephants were slowly walking in the distance. I wish I could see lion or tiger, but I only saw 4 lions that were taking a nap in the bush. Yo, guys! Wake up! Instead, a hyena was running in a race with our vehicle and crossing the path of the road.

It was a fun day trip to safari. I only saw some of them, but it was good to see the paradise of wild animals in Tanzania. A hungry lion did not attack our vehicle or prey on buffalo, so safari was so peaceful. In the untainted nature, human beings and animals were harmonizing with its surroundings to survive all perils. It could be placid or dreary; the relations are mutual, communalistic, parasitic, competitive or antagonistic. In this complicated biological interaction, ecology kills and reproduces living things multimillennial, and I do not know where is the Earth going. Thousands of years later, that crater will have changed its shape through another volcanic eruption, and new type of animals may fill in that new area. Nobody knows what will happen. All I can do is to see and enjoy at this right moment.



No comments:

Post a Comment