Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Aug 31. 2014. My Friend!

“My friend!”

Lidya usually call Denice and me like this. And I call her “Mama!” or “My friend!” as well. So many times, she also calls me “Jacky Chen!” Well, I tell her I am way more handsome than him, but she is so stubborn to say, “No, you are Jacky Chen!” When I was in Sierra Leone, I had not thought that World Vision staff could be my intimate friends. It does not mean that Sierra Leone staff were not friendly, but it was true that there was some kind of invisible wall between staff and fellow. Maybe, as a fellow, I was confused myself that who I was and what I was doing when I first arrived in World Vision office in Africa. It was somewhat hard to reach all staff and get friendly with them because I had heard many times from staff that I was not a staff, but a fellow/ or volunteer. But I realized later that having a good relationship with staff does not actually rely on the level of position; it depends on how much I appreciate what I was given and how much I can have a dignified and confident attitude no matter what the situation I was placed in. However, as times went by, I have got used to what was going on in the office, how staff were working, and what system the organization had. Once I came to Tanzania, I knew how to quickly adjust to spend my time in the new World Vision office. Tanzanian staff are like my family, so it is not strange for me to say them, “Hello, my friend!” Lidya could be my boss because she is Mundemu ADP Development Facilitator for AIM-Health Programme, and I am doing mid-term review for this Programme. Or, I could be a third-party contractor from World Vision International who has to evaluate how it goes objectively, so no one in Tanzania would be my boss. Regardless of all complicated human relationship made by formal positions, I am glad that I become assimilate with people in World Vision and be a friend with them.

I do appreciate my friends because they say hello to me and ask after my health. They were also receiving urgent Ebola news all over the world and asking me via Facebook and Kakaotalk if I was okay. Yes, I am fine! To be honest, I sometimes have experienced depressed moments; but I am so encouraged by their messages and motivated to keep writing daily blog to share my Africa experience with them. Stella, who is in Canada, called me today and we talked almost for an hour. I do not normally talk with someone by phone for a long, at most 5 minutes, but she and I are of the same age and have the same interest. I was happy to hear she is preparing for applying to Master of Public Health (MPH) schools and medical schools. So we had many things to talk about.

“Come to Africa to join the digging a well project!”

I do not know how to join this project yet, but I said that in jest because it could be encouragement for her to come to Africa. She would like to be here in Africa someday. We would not know if we can meet in Africa, or meet in Baltimore, but I am thankful enough to have my friend who concerns about me and feel sympathy for what I feel in Africa.

I think living in Africa is an invaluable experience. I have the privilege of working with people in many different African countries. I am working as a Global Health Fellow from World Vision International, but contributing to maternal, newborn, and child health (MNCH) projects is not the only thing that I can experience. Enjoying new weather, new culture, and new food with new people are natural concomitant of living in Africa during fellowship periods. Africa is still unknown and mysterious world to some people; many friends wish to go to Africa, but they are not readily eager to get on a plane for Africa. One of the biggest reasons that people are hesitating to set their foot on Africa might be out of fear; we have always seen the extreme cases about Africa through the mass media, such as serious famine and cruel pirates in Somalia, brutal civil war in South Sudan, scary HIV/AIDS in South Africa, unforeseen suicide bombing in Nigeria, many unheard diseases and plague, killing heat in the desert, and rare ugly worms. Those risk are all true, but I would want to say those are just part of Africa. You cannot imagine how peaceful Tanzania is. Everything that you need is available here (adding some exaggeration…), and you can enjoy your Sunday afternoon breathing in fresh and cool air.

I do not want my life in Africa would be only for my individual experience. I think public health, the study what I am doing, is all about services to prevent disease, infection, and injury and purse our well-beings; I consider myself that I work in some sort of the service industry. That was how my blog was born, and I hope those who have not been to Africa will have indirect experience activities in Africa by enjoying my blog. I would like to see that a little misunderstanding between Africa and us will soon be straightened out, and people will shortly thereafter realize living in Africa is worth doing. I do not still know how long I can stay in Africa and update daily blog, but the most important thing for me is that I will do come back here in Africa even if I leave in the end of this year or next May. Of course, sometimes, I am anxious that what will happen to me while I am in Africa. Boarding on airplane to move from one African country to another was terrifying because I worried so much about plane crash. I was not sure whether airplane in Africa would have the same safety as those I have got aboard, such as Korean Air or Delta Air. I thought for a long time if Kenya Airways carry me safely from Sierra Leone to Tanzania. My impression about African airplane turned out to be opposite to my anxiety; airplane was airplane, no matter where it was made of.

I have to admit that adjusting to live in Africa must be challenging. Even though our stereotype of Africa is quite far from being the whole truth about Africa, something that makes me impatient is still always lurking around in every place. Now I feel that being in the office at late night hearing mosquitoes’ endless loving sounds near my ears and big mice’s rustling sounds from somewhere in the hole are not joyful. Like this, from the small to the big, something keeps me from working with high efficiency. Nobody understood why I stick in the office even on Sunday, but it is the only way for me to compensate for daily-lost hours in the result of struggling time with new environments. I suddenly miss my friends! But I am expecting a wonderful time in Morogoro from tomorrow. There will be a World Vision Tanzania (WVT)’s big national retreat event for a week in Morogoro! All WVT staff, more than 500 people from WVT, will gather in the same place to review this year’s activities, plan next year’s budget, having tribe’s cultural night, and playing all sorts of sports game. It would be a great opportunity to promote mutual friendship among all WVT staff. My friends in South Korea and the U.S. were too far away from me right now, but I can meet my NEW friends at once in Morogoro. I would say from tomorrow, “Hello, my friends! It is good to see you!”

My friends in the U.S. Stella and I are somewhere in this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment