Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Sept 24. 2014. Karibu Jijila Arusha!

Mt. Meru in Arusha is showing its splendor. 
It took 8 hours to get to Arusha. I stayed up all night to finish up my study and work as much as possible and got in the vehicle in the morning. I fell asleep almost whole time during travelling. After a long driving, I finally saw a road sign, “Karibu Jijila Arusha (Welcome to the City of Arusha)” Yes, it was an unscheduled trip, but Denice and I decided to go to Arusha, a city in Northern Tanzania, without any hesitation because our colleague Nicole was there. Nicole would spend 10 days in Arusha during her transition period from Kenya to Ethiopia, so we had a good chance to have reunion in Tanzania. I have never imagined 3 out of 4 fellows would be able to meet in Africa somewhere during the fellowship period. I wish I could see Kevin as well; but I believe he would have a great time in Uganda by attending AIM-Health mid-term review validation workshop.

Dodoma - the city where I have spent most of my time – was so dry, and a cloud of dust always irritated my eyes; hard contact lens were even prone to tiny dust, and my eyes were hurt and brimming with tears. I began to be tired under my stagnant daily life, and I had to refresh my mind to be passionate about my Africa life once again. I was in the busiest moments because I have stacks of to-do-lists. But when would I have a life of leisure? Sometimes, just putting down the worries and making a move first will be the best answer to handle unsparing schedules.

We had a good fortune to know Dr.Jane, who is Kenyan and working as a Senior Director for Monitoring & Evaluation in World Vision International; she would provide food and shelter until we leave Arusha. I do not know when I can repay people’s kindness in Africa. Home was cozy, dinner was nice, and the room was so comfortable. Tomorrow, I will see the real nature of Africa; we will go to Ngorongoro crater, the world’s largest intact and inactive volcanic caldera, to enjoy safari! Lions, elephants, cheetah, leopard, wild dog, and many other animals! Wait for me, I will see you soon. I am already looking forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment