Friday, September 12, 2014

Sept 11. 2014. The Falling Man

It was a late night, 11pm, back in 2001. I was tired of studying and barely came back home. It was common to high school students staying for self-study until 10pm at school even after official school class is over. My daily schedule was to wake up at 6am, take a van to get school at 6:30am, start the first class at 7:30am, take classes until 5pm, and force to study obligatory until late night. It was like an examination hell. September 11, 2001, was already 13 years ago from now, but I still remember that day so clearly. I arrived at home at 11pm as usual, and my dad gravely opened the door and said, “The World Trade Center in the U.S. has been collapsed by the terrorist!” When I first heard the news, I had no idea what that meant. I had not heard about the World Trade Center before, and I was also exhausted at that moment, so I did not understand what he was talking about. But when I watched the breaking news, I was so shocked to see that people were jumping from an imposing burning skyscraper. They were falling headfirst and plunging thousands of feet to death. More than 1,000 people in the North Tower who were at or above the point of plan crash were caught in the building and suffocated by smoke inhalation, fire and flames, were killed when the building was collapsed eventually, or jumping from the tower to escape the burning tower.

Today was September 11, the date when North and South Tower of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were collapsed by terrorists’ suicide attacks. In commemoration of the 9/11, I searched the 9/11 news archives and read them. The story was just unbelievable. The horrifying scene of this disaster shocked me again, and my eyes ached with tears. Why did this tragedy have to happen? Are we living in a better place now? Unfortunately, there is still no time to feel at ease. President Barack Obama has recently ordered to hunt down Sunni extremist group, ISIS, in Syria as well as in Iraq. I am so agnostic about a terror, religious history, politics, and international circumstances. Why are people fighting to the last?

It is quite surprising for me that so many military discipline accidents in South Korea have been openly reported. Shooting gunfire at random, throwing a hand grenade to comrades, beating a private up real bad to death, treating even senior as a outcast, being killed by a armored car… Many young people in military lose their life or are severely injured by an accident. In Africa, 6 countries have still been suffering from Ebola virus, and people are also dying of many other diseases and infections.

It takes a long time to climb to the top of a hill, but it is just the winking of an eye when people are falling off. It would only take a few seconds that a falling man’s head hit the ground from the tall building. I am afraid of the fact that I never know if the accident would also happen to me. Sometimes, days have been scary because I have a bad hunch that something are likely to happen in the wind. In Africa, I alarm myself whenever I walk at night and have hard time to cool down right away when a speeding vehicle just passes right next to me. Where is my peace of mind? Living in the countryside would be the safest way to prolong my life to the maximum. But ironically, I cannot be pushed into the corner of a room and tremble with fear. I do not want to be serious any more, and I always want to say upbeat story on the blog. Maybe, I am lost in thought so many times, and have bunch of worrying lists. I like Tanzania because something serious would not seem to happen. However, nobody knows and says when an eternal peace will come. Understanding happiness and peace is somewhat ludicrous because I am not even sure whether they actually exist. People may laugh off if I say such and such about peace. Is it unreachable? I hope that nothing will happen tomorrow, moreover, even now. I want to be an ascending man, not a falling man.


No comments:

Post a Comment