Monday, September 8, 2014

Sept 7. 2014. Reformation

Since last Sunday, I have attended Lutheran church. This church was right next to Denice’s guesthouse. People who joined church with me last Sunday were all gone. Denice was coming back from Morogoro, Cherry went back to Singida, but I did not know where Edwin was. On the way to church alone, I met WVT staff, Shentawa. He has just finished his Sunday worship spoken in Swahili in Lutheran church. I received a baton and entered the church.

Western Christianity includes Methodism, Anglican Communion, Presbyterianism, Lutheranism, and other Protestant traditions. A German monk, Martin Luther, wrote the Ninety-Five Theses in 1517 to refute the theology of the Roman Catholic Church – nepotism, usury, pluralism, the sale of indulgences, and simony –, and his effort became the initial catalyst for the launching the Protestant Reformation. It was second time for me to join worship in Lutheran church, and I was a little surprised that gave me a warmer welcome than last Sunday. Church members probably considered me as a sightseer when I first came, but I felt that they welcomed me as a new member this time.

Honestly, many branches of Christianity mix me up, and I have no idea which is right. It would be great experience for me to see the diversity of Christianity, but on the other hand, factional activities here and there makes me confused what denomination I am in communion with. However, I believe that no matter what religious sect people are in, their belief would be the same with the same bible, and they would not discriminate against anyone based on different denomination. The Reformation movement was a big step that everyone was given the freedom to experience the diversity of Christianity without restriction.

What are my old or bad habits that I have to reform? Everything around me seems to be eternal but all things in the universe have limited lives. Korean Thanksgiving Day has surely come back this year as well, following a cycle on this earth. It is not easy to make a daily life meaningful every time. However, becoming accustomed to something has high risk of falling into lethargy. I want to avert my tendency of spinning out with old habits. Just like the Reformation, I reform to break down the fear of change and stay awake spiritually all the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment