Monday, September 15, 2014

Sept 13. 2014. Dog meat

Today was Saturday, but I came to the office. Many staffs also came here and worked so diligently. I was supposed to take online class lectures during this weekend, but it was so…. hard to concentrate. My battery was completely drained. I was bored to death and Denice screamed with laughter at that sight. Then, Selina suddenly came to me and asked me a preposterous question again.

“Charles, do you eat dog meat?”

Uh… Somehow, people all around the world must have heard some news that Koreans eat dog. Koreans may have heard of Brigitte Bardot, a French former actress, at least once; she criticized severely about dog meat consumption in South Korea and called this behavior “barbaric.” A Korean parliamentarian argued with this foreign criticism of dog meat and expressed their criticism as blasphemy. It was interesting for me to trace back to the past, 2002, to recall what actually happened at that time. 2002 FIFA World Cup was co-hosted by South Korea and Japan. Brigitte Bardot, who called herself as an animal rights activist after her retirement, tried to take advantage of 2002 World Cup to ban dog eating. A member of parliament refuted her agrgument that "Criticising us as 'barbarians' for our food culture is tantamount to criticising our culture itself."

<Korean outrage as West tries to use World Cup to ban dog eating>


Anyway, Selina had an interest in asking about that. I said, “Yes,” the other day, but it must be still an incredible story to her. During this week, she has been asking me several times, “Charles, do you eat dog meat? Charles, do you eat snakes? Charles, do you eat snails? Charles, do you also eat cockroach?”

At this time, I dodged and said, “No, we don’t eat dog meat!”
She argued that, “Oh, but you said, dog meat is soft, tender, and delicious!”

Oh my… I told her so… A long time ago, I tried dog meat [Gaegogi] once. It was hot summer. A friend of mine told me that Gaegogi would invigorate us, especially during the summer. It was true that Koreans like to eat stamina health food for rejuvenating, 몸보신. I have no idea if there is scientific evidence that people will be really revitalized by eating some rare items; Gaegogi, snake, frog’s hind leg, centipede, or the damnedest thing I ever heard. I think a dog soup, called Bosintang [보신탕], is well known as the best vital energy source for the body. At least, Gaegogi is not the host of Ebola virus, so I can say it is okay to eat. When I first tried Gaegogi, I felt so weird, because I knew so many people in the world have been arguing with eating that. The first (but will be the last) impression of Gaegogi was soft, tender, and delicious, as I told Selina (And it was too expensive). The reason why I ate Gaegogi was that I was wondering how it tasted, and I wanted to experience the diversity of Korean culture.

“Selina, how do you say dog meat and snake in Swahili?”
“Nyama ya mbwa is a dog meat and Nyoka is snake.”

Well, I have tried Nyama ya mbwa only once, and I have not seen Nyoka food at all so far. This is unfair that some people may misunderstood Korean eat cute puppy. Koreans raise specific breed of dogs as a food, probably, 똥개? Also, only a small percentage of the Korean populations like to eat Gaegogi. South Korean Food Sanitary Law has categorized Gaegogi as ‘repugnant food’ and outlawed the sale of it. But interestingly, the regulation became loose during the 1988 Seoul Olympics and 2002 FIFA World Cup. And nowadays, selling dogs have still been socially accepted. So, is eating dog meat is legal or illegal in South Korea? Law is too complicated…

I will just eat Kuku, Chicken. Though African chicken too tough to chew, but I want to believe that those field chickens who were boasting of their muscles might be much more better revitalized energy than dog meat. Come on, sexy chicken! I do not have to worry about the law and any criticism. J

Kuku is the best one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment