Monday, September 15, 2014

Sept 12. 2014. A boring man

It has been a long time since I posted up African food story. To be honest, my materials for writing a blog have almost been exhausted. My daily life is not that fantastic, rather, it is monotonous. It is office, home, office, and home life! I am a bit unsure myself whether I am a boring man. Writing a report was my wonderful backbreaker that made me do nothing but see the laptop screen. My happy moment for a day was when I saw the (free) food!

I was not sure the source of this food. Sponsorship department seemed to make some good partnership with Nam Hotel, so an employee from there has brought the food during every lunch this week. Since nobody blocked me to eat this (free) food, I visited the sponsorship department every 1pm. I also talked to Denice that we could eat (free) food.

Today’s food was like a gift set. Here are the lists of food in my dish.

Wali: rice
Ndizi: banana
Chinese: kind of vegetable (Nobody knows why they call it Chinese…)
Mchicha: spinach
Mboga mboga: vegetable
Tikiti: watermelon
Samaki: fish
Kuku: chicken
Pilipili: pepper

I put all kinds of food on a plate (as everyone did). Luckily, there was no Maharage: bean at this time. When I tasted bean in early days in Tanzania, I did not have any particular emotion about that food. But I recently realized that bean made me feel some sort of neasea. In my nutrition class, there is an assignment that I need to track what I eat for three days to analyze the nutrition facts for those foods. Ah… that would be interesting to do it! Introducing Tanzanian food to my class would be unique and fun. The deadline is far away from now, so I do not want to do it right away.

I am not still getting used to use my fingers to hand-rub ugali. Actually, I have not even tried it yet. As it would be a foul play to use spoon to scoop ugali, I just simply avoid ugali and choose rice. It was so natural for me to hold that chicken leg with my hands, but it was still weird for me to see people were using their fingers to pick the fish meat off the bone. There was no chopstick, but I guessed using our hands might be way more elaborate tool to fillet the fish. Good thing is that people have a great sense of hygiene, so they wash their hands before and after eating food.

The most interesting food here is Ndizi: banana. People cook banana! It is like a banana revolution. It tasted good enough. It tasted like a… How can I explain? It tasted like a banana. J African food has just made a boring man into an exciting man.

Napenda Chakula!


No comments:

Post a Comment