Thursday, September 4, 2014

Sept 2. 2014. New Academic Year

I opened my eyes at 5:30am in the morning. Some staff were already walking around the hallway and taking a bath with distant sounds. Wow, they are so diligent… I got out of the room to see what people were doing; someone already finished a bath, others were tying football shoes string to exercise this early in the morning. I wanted to take a bath, but I did not know where I could get a bucket of hot water. The good thing was that two buckets of water, two rolling toilet papers and mosquito spray were provided for each room. It was supposed to be two people in the room, but there were two other roommates, Adwin and Joseph from Dodoma, in my room (We love each other so much. Huh…?). I was too lazy to find out where the hot water was, so I came back to the room and rolled over the bed. I did not mind taking a cold bath, but it must be hard in this winter season in Tanzania… Edwin woke up soon, and we went downstairs bringing a bucket to find the origin of hot water.

We went outside and followed the people who were also bringing a bucket. Wow, there was the place where staffs were boiling the water and pour those into the small water tank and people receive the half of hot water into their own bucket. I waited in line, get those, and carried it to the 3rd floor of bathroom. I mixed it with another half of cold water to fill up the bucket. I just made warm water. Wait, there was no cup to scoop up this water. I found the Kilimanjaro 500ml empty water bottle, and I essentially use it to contain water and pour it to me again and again. The narrow hole of this water bottle could hardly swallow the water; I will cut it half for the next morning shower. It was fun! I know people like to upload their video of ice bucket challenge; ice water + bucket might be unusual to many people. But using cold water with a bucket is a daily life for African. I know ice bucket challenge has started with a good meaning, so it would be a good campaign to increase awareness of Lou Gehrig disease, but we also have to think about what other disease make people suffer.

The new 2014-2015 academic year has just begun from today. I cannot believe I have already become an old Grad student and have 1st year new students. I have been racing against my 1st year, and now I am an already senior, 선배님. There was a welcome meeting last week for Korean freshmen in Homewood campus and I was a little afraid to see them because I must be more than 10 years older than they were. I would be an old man, 아저씨, to them, and I am not even sure if they allow me to join their conversation. Haha. Anyway, since I was in Africa, so I could not physically be there.

I have completed all requirement courses during the first year and earned Health Finance and Management certificate, but I consider myself that I know nothing about public health yet. I decided to prepare for Public Health Informatics certificate during the 2nd year; I can take all 21 credits through online classes. Now I am anxious how I manage my time very well to take the online lecture straight all through 1st to 4th term and do the internship in Africa at the same time. Internet is not even available here in Morogoro, so I would miss first week of online classes at the right time. I would spend really busy and crazy weekend to catch up all unread emails and listening lectures.

There are 8 zone, 15 clusters, and more than 60 ADPs in World Vision Tanzania. In the afternoon, each zonal representative had a presentation to explain what activities and achievements is going on their zone, and all staff had opportunity to see and share ideas to improve their service in the near future. After presentation, we all went to the University campus to compete sports among 8 zones. Central Zone, the area where I belong to, won netball and football, and we were enraptured over our victory. In the evening, our choir sang a hymn, danced all together. A sweet melody was celebrating this beautiful night.

Just like I began my day with new style of bucket of water in Tanzania, new students came to school to start new academic year with a fresh mind in Baltimore. The new makes me passionate, motivated, and excited. Let’s start, new academic year!


No comments:

Post a Comment