Saturday, September 6, 2014

Sept 5. 2014. Dilemma

It was time to go back to Dodoma. People who were from distant place woke up so early and got ready to leave. Interestingly, there was no group bus for taking us to Dodoma. Since it was Friday, many people would scatter over Dar es Salaam, somewhere in Morogoro, or any other good place to spend wonderful weekend. Denice and Lidya were not seen; I remembered that Denice would visit Lidya’s home in Morogoro. For me, I just wanted to go back. Edwin, Michael and I took motorbikes to get to the Morogoro bus station. It was a little over 8:00 am, but the earliest bus for Dodoma was at 10:00 am. Then, I faced a dilemma.

I study public health, and I somewhat feel awkward to understand what ‘public’ means. Obviously, it has a good meaning, grand ambition to serve people in least developed countries, so to speak, publicly. But how much ‘public’? I mean, how much this public health should be opened to all people, and how much should I open myself publicly? Should studying public health be for my own good, or for a person’s benefit? If for a person’s behoof, how deep should I commit myself to a life of poverty? How would I make sacrifices for public health so that I can feel that ‘Yes, I am satisfied myself’? Should I just keep quiet and secretly performed good deeds all my life? Or bluffing what I am doing in Africa by writing on the blog? Many times, I have a sense of shame that blogging seems to be a window dressing, boasting myself that I am experiencing diverse and colorful life in Africa. Actually, my life here is not special; rather, it is more or less inconvenient, and sometimes, frustrating. I have lived my life too easily, without worrying about money trouble. All I did was only study in the good, as people say, place. I have been always thinking that what on earth I can do, what I want to do, and what is worth doing.

Maybe, I need to be placed in an extreme situation to feel finally that ‘Oh, now I feel like I am doing something’? Should I provide humanitarian aid in the war zone? Should I have stayed and been an Ebola dead body burier in Sierra Leone? Should I live with isolated mountain villager to understand the uncivilized realities of life? Everything was relaxed and easy during the whole week, ate my bellyful, laughed so loudly, and worked on my reports absenting from retreat sessions. And I do not know why even myself have discussed the merits and demerits of the name value of school, and I have been so much preoccupied with reading and long for partial credits in class. What were all these for? For my sake or for people’s health?

Life in Africa is unique and sometimes exciting, but on the one hand, it is tedious and slow. I would not figure out the real local situation within a short period of time, and moreover, I have no idea what is really going on Sierra Leone because I am so far away from there now. What about here in Tanzania? My learning of Swahili makes little progress in spite of people’s constant Swahili greetings, and I was busy with escaping embarrassing moment by saying in English, Yes, No, and Thank you. Whenever I tried to learn Swahili, my thought about leaving soon blocks me from concentrating effort to know the most basic one, local language.

The scenery of a bus station in Morogoro was certainly refreshing. While I was sitting one hour and a half to wait for a bus, what I could do was to look around and see what merchants were selling. They brought to my company and me to sell snack, charger, headphone, bread, and miscellaneous stuff. On the far side of the street, Selina was also sitting on the chair to wait for a bus. We said silent hi each other. I took my cellphone out to take picture of her without thinking seriously. Just then, 2 males sprang out at me and quibbled over my behavior. They continued poling and shouted at me in anger, “Did you take a picture?” I was full of trepidation and had no chance to explain myself. People gathered around us and started heated controversy in Swahili for a long time. I wished I could do self-justification, but I could not even butt in their conversation. It was so long, awkward and shameful moment that I could not avoid being a deaf and dumb, just standing with immobile posture. But at least I knew why they were upset. Just like I feel uncomfortable when they stare at me up and down, take a backward glance, say Chee-na! Ni hao!, they might be insulted when they are involuntarily photographed. I did not mean to take a picture of them… It was my fault that I carelessly holding my cellphone too long, and they might misunderstand my intention.

I confront a dilemma. I thought I have given it a lot of thought, but it might be only in my own way, not even their way. I do self-censorship what contents I say and what picture I upload, but I do not know yet which is perfectly fine for them. Maybe, I could be never helpful, only burden to them. I muse the question once more, what is public? It is a thorny question to answer. Drawing a distinct line between public and private matters is real hard than I expected. I took a bus, and 3 hours later, I arrived in Dodoma. Since I was in Africa, I have had indigestion all the time. Trying to understand local people’s food culture by eating the same food may be another dilemma. How can I be integrated into their lives naturally so that nobody think I am alien? I only have one more month in Tanzania. I am just afraid that I have no enough time to overcome those dilemmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment