Thursday, July 10, 2014

July 10. New Six Senses: 1. Hear

Everyday, I have seen, smelled, heard, touched, tasted, and felt in totally different ways. My life in Africa has been already one month, which exceeded the time duration of my life in Ghana two years ago. I am surprised to know that some people from Peace Corps extend their work to one or two more years in Sierra Leone. Not every people can do three or four-year dedication in African countries. Missionary from my previous church in Utah decided to go to Brundi to serve Africans for the rest of her life. I knew that life in Africa must be challenging, so I was deeply moved by her decision, I have been sponsoring her by sending offering every month. Since I came to Sierra Leone, I have not seen the way to send offering to her. There is no post office around here.

What is happening to my hearing in Sierra Leone?

1. 당가-이구웨이-와오! (Danga-E-Guwei-Wa-Oh!)
When I go jogging every morning, I can hear this shouting. What does that mean? A few ladies carry the basket over their heads and say out loud here and there. It looks like they are selling something. So I asked Jalloh what they are saying. Then, he was also wondering, so we asked kids on the street, stopping the vehicle for a while. He eagerly described that to kids in Krio language, and kids answered back a few possible words.

@$#$...?
&*%^&%^…?
 ^#(…?
당가-이구웨이-와오! (Danga-E-Guwei-Wa-Oh!)…$2$#%@?

“Yes, that one!”
We were both excited to find that and asked what that means; in the morning, people go here and there to sell Cassava roots by saying that words. It was not obviously English, not even Krio, but Mende. I guess Cassava food is every Sierra Leone’s favorite food. I asked a few Sierra Leoneans, “What is your favorite food?” Then, almost all of them said, “Cassava leaves!”

Jollof rice with chicken- her cooking is the best!
2. 쿠모이! (Kumoi!)
When kids say “Hello!” and wave their hands, I also look back and say “Hello!” They are smiling. Many times, they also say to me 쿠모이! (Kumoi!) It means white man in Mende language. (The official language in Sierra Leone is English, but there are 17 ethnic languages still exist.) Actually, I am yellow race, but I look like white man to them. Yes, I am the only person who is not black in this area. People may think I am white Chinese. But I am so unique because I am yellow Korean.

3. 당당디나에~ (Dangdang Dee Na Yeah~)
It is a Nancy’s favorite song. She and her nephews (probably daughters?) bring meals to the guesthouse and office for me. She says they are her nephews, but they say Nancy is their mother. (Who is right?) What I understood is that this song has sad lyrics; it is the story of abandoned 2nd wife. Her husband does not love her and she expressed her mind in this song. Nancy liked this song, and we sang together and danced, and her nephews laughed at this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment