Wednesday, July 16, 2014

July 11. II. The Bite of the Mango

First and foremost, I loved this book. I think it is the best book to understand RUF Revel in Sierra Leone. While A Long Way Gone is the boy soldier’s real story during the civil war, The Bite of the Mango is the real story of civil war victim, a girl named Mariatu Kamara. She was a 12-year-old little girl when Rebel broke out and maimed by boy soldiers. I could not stop reading because I really wanted to know whether she overcame this brutal situation, and where and how she lives her life right now.

Before reading this book, I considered the title The Bite of the Mango at ease. However, I have never imagined the meaning of biting mango was actually heart wrenching and agonizing, but there was a hope at the same time. We should not lose our hope no matter what happens to our lives. Where there is a will, there is a road. So many innocent Sierra Leoneans has suffered from the civil war like Mariatu, people all over the world reach them and give a helping hand.

There are many fallen and broken mangoes on the road in Sherbro Island. I unconsciously stepped on them and walked away. But I know how precious it is that I am able to hold a mango with my hands, bite a mango, and savor the taste and flavor of a mango.

No comments:

Post a Comment