Thursday, July 24, 2014

July 23. Slowly but Surely

I can hear the Ebola news here and there in real time in World Vision National Office. This news is way faster than BBC or the Washington Post. During the devotion time in the morning, National Director Leslie Scott said that Dr. Khan, who is the only one Ebola expert in Sierra Leone, has contracted Ebola virus. This news hit the headline on the local newspaper, Sad News… Dr. Khan was diagnosed with Ebola positive. I feel excessive distress that medical doctors, nurses, public health officials who had been taking the initiative in treating Ebola patients also have got infected and passed away. This is really serious. They may know how to protect themselves very well, but this virus has also claimed their lives as well. Nonetheless, he is a real fighter against Ebola, so I believe he will be a survivor from this deadly disease. 


<Sierra Leon's top Ebola doctor infected as the worst outbreak in history continues, with no end in sight>



"Even with the full protective clothing you put on, you are at risk."

I am really wondering what kinds of disease on God’s earth lead human beings death almost immediately just because of touching somebody’s hands. I do not know how 17 neglected tropical diseases have been selected, but this Ebola virus is a real neglected virus that is ignorant to everyone, including health professional. It first appeared in Congo and Sudan in 1976, but the vaccine or cure for that has been no progress. I presume that is why the infection route is too broad; WHO states that the infection is transmitted by direct contact with the blood, body fluids and tissues of infected animals or people. It makes us in chaos because we do not know who the patient is on the street. Contacting with people who is in incubation period is ok? Touching money is ok? Touching taxi door is ok? Even if some expert says it is ok, but I cannot believe that fully. At this point, this is just horrified disease that all information seems to be unclear.

Toward the end of working hours, I asked Grant Acquisition Manager, Momoh Juanah, “Momoh, do you have good plan in this evening?” without any thought. But he assumed that I would want to walk around the beach and have some bears. “No, no, I didn’t mean anything. I just asked.” Until the end of closing time, he asked me for three times, “I thought you need some fresh air and bear.” I was so moved that my boss was warm-hearted who felt sympathize with my tedious life cycle: office and home, and office and home. I cannot deny that my daily life is so simple. After work, I am so frustrated by this Ebola situation and sleep early, and I cannot even go jogging because it rains everyday. I hesitant to go anywhere, and even hesitant to meet church friends.

“is anythg goin on u don’t wnt me 2 knw?”
“is it because of the breakout you are avoiding me 4?”

Those texts were from my friends. What a terrible situation for me is! I love them but I am reluctant to meet them because I have no idea who they have contacted with. Ebola is not a good opportunity to know anymore. It is just survival or death. It severs relationship between people and me, and isolates me in office and home. Human being is endlessly weak creature against all kinds of diseases. Besides Ebola, I do not enjoy going out during the night for security reason. Besides security reason, there is nowhere to go anyway.


Momoh and I went to Lumley beach area, the place where I stay, and he parked his car on the street. It was raining incessantly, and we sat on the chair under the awning. The name of the bar was VI Bar. (Is it pronounced vi bar or 6 bar?) While listening to sound of rain, I had one Heineken and two Savanna. Those alcohols were kicking me slowly but surely, just like Ebola virus has been spreading all across the country slowly but surely. When I get up in the next morning, I expect to become sober up, or start the day with a dull headache. But I regret to say that Ebola news become more serious next day. Bad feeling took possession of my whole mood that I will leave good people in Sierra Leone behind. And I will meet new people in a new place. Please, I did not mean it. Let me sleep again. This is the best thing I can do right now.

1 comment:

  1. 아프리카에서 일하는게 쉽지많은 않구나.. 힘들지?! ㅠㅠ 그래도 항상 화이팅!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete