Wednesday, July 9, 2014

July 9. The Purpose Driven Life

It has been one month since I came to Sierra Leone. In Belgium, I even agonized over whether to take the airplane from Belgium to Sierra Leone. Thankfully, I am still fine and I have not got Ebola. (lol.) When I was at the World Vision National Office, Lamrana gave me a book titled The Purpose Driven Life and said,

“You have to know why you are here, Sierra Leone. I want you to know. Make sure that you read this book and give back to me.”

Her tone is always direct and forthright. She is a faithful Christian and never give up persuading me to invite her church. Well, I do not change the church. No matter what the church is small or big, whether I like it or not, I stick with one church where I initially went. I believe there is no better or worse church. All matters begin from my attitude and thought, so it depends on my dedication to get involved in my first church in Sierra Leone. But I was moved by her effort, so I visited her church one time during the weekday.

“What did YOU learn from today’s sermon?”
“Haha, you act like my teacher.”
“Did you just sit there and watched the screen? You should tell me.”

Anyhow, I appreciate her concern about my belief. I wanted to return her favor by reading this book, so I brought it to the Bonthe District. The author asks me that “What on earth are you here for?” It is so profound topic and I am afraid to answer it. But his answer is simple and clear: “It all starts with God.” The book consists of 40 chapters, which allows me read only one chapter for each day. (But I read multiple chapters any day...) He said, “the next 40 days will transform my life” by proving

“Noah’s life was transformed by 40 days of rain.”
“Moses was transformed by 40 days on Mount Sinai.”
….
“The disciples were transformed by 40 days with Jesus after his resurrection.”

And he wanted me to think deeply what messages I gained every single day. By doing so, I could experience a 40-day spiritual journey to discover the purpose of my life. Then, I asked myself to answer Lamrana’s question, “Why I am in Sierra Leone?” I will be here for 4 months, which is 120 days, 3 times of 40-day. I originally thought 4-month is too short period to change something, but there is plenty of time for me to contribute to AIM-Health. I have to appreciate each day so that I can happily study, learn, work, communicate, plan, evaluate, and love from my sincere heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment