Tuesday, July 8, 2014

July 7. Charles met Charles

At last, I met Charles Lissa, District M&E Officer. I will have in-depth interview (IDI) with 19 stakeholders at Ministry of Health, District Health Management Team, health facilities, and Area Development Program (ADP). Access to Infant Maternal (AIM)-Health Programme has been implemented since March 2012 in Sierra Leone. By conducting IDI, I will collect these qualitative data to carry out the AIM-Health mid-term review and find out the way to develop this project for the remaining one year and a half period.

"Don't worry about it being an "interview", just try to have a conversation."

My colleague, Nicole in Kenya advised me how she felt about her first IDI.  

I thought I was well-acquainted with the AIM Mid-term Review qualitative study, but it was my first interview and I made some minor mistakes. Mr. Lissa was sitting at his office, and I asked him if I record the interview. He said, “No problem!” so I agreeably began the interview. (I should have received informed consent form with his signature before interview started.)

I tried to maintain eye contact with him for the most of time, and I could not find the moment when I should take notes. When I looked at the note, Mr. Lissa stopped talking, and I did not want conversation was paused. Also, I wanted to keep time strictly, so I was in a hurry to ask next questions without enough clarification. I thought I was able to know when I listen the recording, but I realized asking for clarification is way better idea for a nicer qualitative data. It took 45 minutes to conduct my first IDI. I could have been better! On the model of my first IDI experience, I need to improve IDI skill. While quantitative data may have no place for doubt because of its numerical evidence, qualitative data can be subjective depending on interviewer’s capability and ability to process.

Within given time, how much can I gain specific and detailed information? How can I elicit good replies from interviewees? Interviewing stakeholders requires thorough background knowledge. So then, how much do I know about AIM-Health? I am learning through this experience how to combine both quantitative data (LQAS methodology) and qualitative data (IDI and focus group discussions) to evaluate AIM-Health project in the most effective way.

No comments:

Post a Comment