Wednesday, July 16, 2014

July 13. II. Charles met Community Health Workers

Happy Sunday! In the morning, Joseph, Christiana and I attended UMC primary school graduation thanksgiving & service at Weaver Memorial UM church. Graduants sang hymns and songs, and they received graduation certificate. Students in Sierra Leone have to take graduation exam every time, for primary school (elementary), secondary junior school (middle), and secondary senior school (high) students. For secondary senior school, there is a West Africa exam that all students in West African countries have to take in common. The ceremony finished at 2pm, and I could see several community health workers (CHWs) on the way out from the church. Joseph confirmed the time that I can meet them today at 5pm. There was another graduation service for UBC primary school at Woodard Memorial UBC church, so we also attended this ceremony.

We arrived at the office late, and some CHWs had already waited for me. Some CHW came here from far away, so they seemed to be unsatisfied that they had to wait. I felt terribly sorry to them because this meeting was not even official or mandatory. Anyway, I needed to be hurry to chat with them. I started with three CHWs, and two other CHWs had joined later.

“What is the purpose of this meeting?”

One of CHWs asked me with a doubtful tone. I was embarrassed inside, but I did not show it outside. I introduced myself to them, and explained why I wanted to meet them.

“I know CHWs attended focused group meeting yesterday to evaluate AIM-Health project. This is just informal conversation because I would like to know anything about CHWs. There are no CHWs in South Korea or the U.S. like you, so I’ve been wondering how CHWs actually work for their communities. I’d appreciate if you’d share your CHW experience with me.”

“So, is this for your assignment?”

“No, this is not an assignment. I asked Mr.Musa if I can talk to CHWs, and he arranged this meeting for me. I am not recording and I just want to have conversation with you. I am working as World Vision Global Health Fellow, so I can spread your CHW stories to my colleagues and professors at my school, think about better strategies for CHW, and deliver and reflect your thoughts about AIM-Health to World Vision.”

I was so worried in my mind. Am I stealing their time now? Hoping the conversation go through well, I started to ask questions.

How/When did you become CHWs? How did you decide to do it?
How do you identify pregnant women? Do they let you know first or you visit every household?
What is the motivation to you to work as CHW, even though you do not get paid?
What are some challenges?
What is one good thing for you to be CHW?
How do you manage your time, between your work and CHW work on a daily basis?
What is the relationship between you and households? Do they like you?
Do you also educate households about any other health issues, except maternal and child health?
What do you think about AIM-Health project? Should it be extended? If so, are you willing to continue working as CHW?

and so on.

It was short time, less than one hour, but CHWs kindly and specifically answered all my questions. One of CHWs said,

“Now, we don’t actually work for World Vision, but we work for our community!”

Wow, what a strong statement is! I was so impressed that CHWs really care about their community and proud of themselves that they are worthwhile to do for their community without any desire for reward. Their driving force for being CHWs is powerful unconditioned love to their community. Before leaving, I exchanged contact number with a few CHWs and took a group picture. I was happy and relieved that their doubtful attitude had naturally disappeared as we continued talking, and I could say good-bye, sincerely hoping that we would meet again.

There are a total of 200 CHWs in Sherbro island ADP and Imperi ADP, and a total of 244 CHWs in Jong ADP and KKS ADP. Every community members know their CHWs, and they consider CHWs as a part of their family. I admire CHWs’ work. I ask to myself that what my driving force is to be a public health professional.

What am I doing? For my good? For organization’s good? For people’s good?
How much do I care about other people’s health and well-being? More precious than my health?
Where do I work in the future? In the U.S.? In Asia? In Africa?

I cannot clearly answer all of those by now. I do not actually know. Comparing to CHWs’ work, I am just a baby. I want to be grown-up soon enough. No matter where I would be, what I would work for, all I wish is that I would become a genuine person who can help, motivate, and develop someone’s life. 

With Awesome Community Health Workers

No comments:

Post a Comment