Tuesday, June 17, 2014

June 17. I. Sierra Leonean cuisine 1: Cassava Leaves and Fried Fish

For lunch, I have always said hello to fried fish. Pastor Israel asked me, "How can you enjoy African food so quickly?" So I answered, "Well, we Koreans also eat rice every day, fish is common, and I like the sauce!" I had Cassava leaves sauce for lunch today. It tasted like... leaves! (Have I tried leaves before? So then how could I know what the taste is? I am just saying...) In this sauce, there are many unidentified ingredients (it contained cow skins, fish, bean and so on), but I ate all of them.


Cassava leaves has a high protein, active substance, sources of Vitamin A, high fiber, and Vitamin C, so it would be good for preventing rheumatic, headache, fever, diarrhea, expel helminthes, blurred eyes, and it can even increase appetite (really?). If I miss 고추장 or 라면 already, how can I say with confidence that I am in Africa? Even if Sierra Leonean cuisines does not suit my palate for the first time, I will not give up eating those.

No comments:

Post a Comment