Monday, June 30, 2014

June 30. The Palm Oil Stain

The Palm Oil Stain written by Nadia Maddy is a great love story of Shalimar, who suffered from Rebel War in Sierra Leone. Shalimar escaped from Rebel attacks and had to separate from her family. She was protected by mercenary, whose name was Chameleon in Freetown, but she always wanted to return to her home, Blama, to reunite with her family. She was always desperate to leave Chameleon, but he did not want to let her go. The RUF Rebel was still there, and he needed protect her. What fates are waiting for them?

I began to question myself that what is the most important thing for me.
My family? My future? My love?
If I were Shalimar, would I take risk of going back to see my family, or settle for the present?

Sometimes, I think that studying seems to be really extravagant because it needs a lot of necessary conditions. Tuition, textbook, stationery, perfect satiety, and good place with the right temperature… all those are directly with money. Selling cassava leaves and potato leaves in the market just like Shalimar was not uncommon after war. I wish all youths in Sierra Leone will be filled with hopes and dreams so that they will not suffer the pain of war again.

No comments:

Post a Comment