Saturday, June 28, 2014

June 27. Communication


I know that communication is one of the most important factors for any organization or group. However, the theory and practice is not the same. Student and intern have a different aspect to communicate with people. When I was at school, all I needed was to talk with instructors, teaching assistants, and students. There was no limitation to ask something, and school also permits my mistake by giving me worse than grade A. On the contrary to this, intern confronts the real-life situation. Intern only breaks the half of school shield, but it is the first-step to move forward to the jungle of competition in a free market.

There are various World Vision/school staffs who make Global Health Fellow possible: World Vision International/ Ireland/ Sierra Leone, school staff and my two readers for this practicum essay. In the World Vision Sierra Leone, there are many staffs from different department who work for Access to Infant and Mother (AIM)-Health. As an intern, I cannot simply do whatever I want; I have a given part of job, and it is done with my supervisors. I mostly communicate with my immediate superior, and try to follow his direction as much as possible. A certain schedule could have been delayed due to Ebola outbreak; I received the instruction that I may not spend consecutive time in the field because of the movement restriction. I also have many superiors to talk to, and it is not that easy to ask demands in a vertical relationship. In addition, World Vision is a large international non-governmental organization, and it is, necessarily, bureaucracy. Chance would be find things if all people related to AIM-Health gather at the one place at the same time to achieve consensus on Fellow’s action plan. However, the reality is it does not; some people went business trip, messages are transformed into different meaning, and all we have is a signed document.

As far as that goes, there is not travel ban in Sierra Leone. Even though Ebola outbreak is out of control, “WHO does not advise special screening at points of entry with regard to this event nor does it currently recommend any travel or trade restrictions.” As of WHO’s Global Alert and Response (GAR) on June 24, the geographical distribution of these cases and deaths is as follows: Kailahun, 135 cases and 32 deaths; Kambia, 1 case and 0 deaths; Port Loko, 2 cases and 0 deaths; Kenema, 19 cases and 2 deaths; and Western, 1 case and 0 deaths. Currently, 52 patients are in EVD Treatment Centres in Kenema (12) and Kailahun (40). It does not bode well for Sierra Leone. Will Ebola spread to entire region in Sierra Leone? 


We can say that there is no Ebola case in Bonthe District, the place where I should go for completing AIM-Health mid-term evaluation, so it is ok to go. Of course, none of staffs would not be deployed the Ebola-affected regions. I am going if there is no restriction to go. I believe that getting hands-on experience in Bonthe District far outweigh the benefit of spending time in National Office.

Besides my work in World Vision, I am learning a lot when it comes to communicating with people. This week, I was in an awkward situation because every staff had a different expectation about Fellowship timeline, and I was in a double bind in Freetown. I realized that I should act wisely and get the point when I should take initiative, and when I should listen to superiors’ direction. Finding my duty for myself is not easy because all of tasks are interrelated, and that is why communication is the most important to succeed in doing my role. After a long discussion to clarity everyone’s expectation, I will be able to go to the field next week. I already wonder what I will learn and have the benefit of fieldwork.


Reference: http://www.who.int/csr/don/2014_06_24_ebola/en/

No comments:

Post a Comment