Monday, June 23, 2014

June 21. I. Unwelcome guest: Lizard

I hate bugs, literally, any bugs. I am terrified whenever I see all kinds of insects, regardless of their sizes. Unfortunately, there are so many bugs that bother me: mosquitoes, flies, spiders, giant cockroaches, some ugly insects, and… lizard! I was having a lonely and boring Saturday in my home. Time flied so fast in the U.S., but time in Africa seems to stop. I still had no TV and internet service in my home, and today was still Saturday, which meant I need to wait until Monday to ask for having those services. I kept asking to myself “What should I do? What am I going to do? There is nothing I can do. I am so bored!”

I was sitting on the sofa in the living room and seeing the wall with no definite idea. Suddenly, I saw that ugly moving animal was moving on the wall from behind the curtain. It was a lizard! I was suddenly wide awake and so shocked that I could not breathe for three seconds. How could that guy came in my room? I did not have insect killer spray… I tried to relax and brought the stick to find lizard. Where are you? He hid between the veranda doors. Since I did not want to get involved in killing lizard, I went down to ask some help. I found Amadu, who works for the house maintenance, and told him to help me. He did not know the word lizard, so I imitated the movement of lizard by moving my arms. There you go. He understood what I meant, and he brought his stick. Ok, let’s go. Lizard was still there, and he bravely opened the veranda door. Lizard moved down so quickly through the wall and I shouted. On no…  and he escaped in a whisk somewhere. He might be gone though the wall outside. There was a crack between the doors, and he can come back anytime…? 

Can I overcome African animals? Anyway, lizard is really scary. A few days ago, a lizard dropped right in front of me from the sky, and showed its heels. The imagination that lizards are crawling on the wall while I sleep makes me tremble.

No comments:

Post a Comment