Thursday, June 26, 2014

June 25. III. Un-ended War: Tragedy of National Division

Korean War Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C.
Today is June 25, the date when the Korean War broke out in 1950. The War called a truce on July 27 1953, and it has been more than 60 years since North and South Korea pointed their gun at each other. Armistice. That means the second war can break out at anytime. Recently, I heard sad news from South Korea military. There was a fugitive South Korean solider in front-line troops – northeastern Gangwon province – who threw a hand grenade and fired a gun at random, and ran away. Five colleagues were killed, and seven colleagues were seriously injured. Before being captured alive, he shot himself, but he was survived by prompt surgery.

Unfortunately, it happens often. Some soldiers lose their reasons and escape their military force when their girlfriends say good-bye to them. The result for escaping is to be locked up in the guardhouse and dishonorable discharge in the end. So to speak, we say 빨간줄, the permanent red line for the rest of their life that they can never erase the history of breaking military discipline. I know that breaking up with girlfriend during military service is heart wrenching, miserable and sorrowful. How do I know? Because I also experienced. The more pitiable moment for me was that I did not even have any good reason to grasp her hand and say, “Don’t leave me.” I was a solider, and she was a civilian. Times flies like an arrow; it was already six years ago. No matter how many days have passed, it is still a poignant pain to me, not because I still love her, but because I was an incompetent man who could nothing to change her mind.

Skirmishes in the western sea occur frequently between North and South Korea, and many South Korean marines have died on the battlefield. To be honest, some South Koreans may be insensible to this news because they take it for granted. “Oh, it happens again?” And then, they forget about it. However, I feel as if it could happen to me. Truly, it could have happen to me during my 2.2-year compulsory military service in the air force. I am still not done yet. I am a reserve forces sergeant for seven years, and I have to go if my Republic is calling me.

War messes everything up. Young man’s promising future and love, and family’s harmony can be knocked over in a moment. The Sierra Leone Civil War has just ended 12 years ago. The country may still bears the scars of being at that war, and I do not want to reopen their old war wounds. The Lumley beach is always calm and quite. Sometimes, I am suddenly afraid of my haze of illusion that this placid ocean turns into raging waves and all people are swept away. Don’t know what the day will bring. The world is so noisy. There was a deadly blast attack in a crowded shopping centre in Abuja, Nigeria, and at least 21 people were killed and several dozens of others are wounded. Wait, is Matt OK? I am really worrying my colleague, who is working for the Clinton Foundation in Abuja. I sent a Facebook message to ask if he is OK. Yes, he is alive. :)

Wherever we go, there is no safe zone. What we can do is to be thankful to have today, at this moment, and put the best energy into everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment